Thursday, March 4, 2021

Parents, brother Roy, and me, in 1956


This photo was taken in 1956, most probably on the day of my first holy communion. My younger brother Roy and I were attending Ave Maria Convent, in Negombo, because the boys school, Maris Stella College (my fathers alma mater) had classes only from Standard Two. My father Teddy was about 30 years, mother Fernie a few years older, Roy only 5, and I was 6. 

Father was the superintendent of Carrington Group, Dankotuwa. Mother was a field midwife at that time. Roy and I traveled to Ave Maria by public bus, accompanied by a young girl who worked for us. 

The photo was taken at Lazarus Studio, at Kochchikade, on the Negombo - Puttalam road. We had to pass the studio when we traveled between Dankotuwa and Negombo.

The lights at the studio were very bright, and we had to pose for a while, hence the stares and attempts to avoid direct gaze at the camera.

Lazarus Studio still exists, but in a decrepit state.

My sister Beaula was born in 1957. Roy passed away in 1963.

 

No comments: