Monday, July 20, 2009

More photos of the final days and funeral

When my sister Beaula, who lives in Tampa, Florida, heard about dad's illness, she returned to Sri Lanka in late May. Dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer on June 3.

In late May, dad was still strong enough to sit in the front yard after being taken there on the wheel chair.


With Beaula in early June


With two of his nieces, Delphine (on his right) and Marie (on his left). Delphine is his sister Kate's daughter, and Marie sister Rosie's. Delphine was on a visit from the UK.


I arrived late at night on June 13. This photo was taken around midnight.


Dad with his children


With his friend Justin Fernanado. Justin formed a close friendship with dad about two years ago. He was a frequent visitor and, despite being a busy businessman, spent much time with him, taking him on doctor's and hospital visits, lifting him on to the wheel chair, and in and out of bed.

Roy, dad's first grandson, arrived on June 16. Dad was fond of Roy and was laughing and joking with Roy.




From left: Roy, Beaula, dad, me


Fawzia praying at dad's bedside


Pius uncle with his wife Rita. Pius, who resided with Aunty Rosie's family, knew the history of the Braine family from the early 1950s. He is one of dad's last contemporaries still alive. The others are my mother's siblings Cecil and Irene.

Bandara ("Bandaiya" to us) keeping vigil. He is Marie's husband an, in the absence of Beaula and me, took good care of our parents


Champa and her daughter singing Methodist hymns. Champa is the daughter of my my mother's cousin Millie aunty. My mother was born a Methodist.



More Methodist hymns


Pearl, my mother's niece, who had taken care of dad during the last days. Going back 40 years, my mother's relatives were often in our home. Pearl first arrived in the 1960s.


The graveyard (Kanatte) in Borella, Colombo, where our parents are buried. It's a tranquil place in the midst of the dust and noise of Colombo.

No comments: